A digital lifestyle is directly proportional to high energy consumption. As avid users of multiple energy sources, we take in abundance from the planet. Conserving energy and incorporating a few home improvements are thereby necessary to make your home more energy efficient.
Here are a few ways by which we can be resourceful and contribute towards sustainable development.
– Lighting brings a lot of essence to our homes, but it is also a major factor for energy consumption and must be used diligently. You can start by :
• Turning off the lights when you are not using them
• Buying compact fluorescent bulbs, which reduce energy by a good 75%
• Ensuring to use dimmers, timers and motion detectors on indoor and outdoor lighting.
• Turning off or even unplug your televisions when not in use. Televisions draw power constantly for the instant-on functionality.
– Kitchen, the heart of every home is again a heavy energy consumer.
• Ensure to turn off the burner or oven once the food is completely cooked.
• Always use the required size of the burner on the cooking range only, i.e. small for small pots and large for large pots.
• Try using a pressure cooker whenever it is possible, this helps you cook faster with lesser fuel consumption
• Always cover pans when cooking to keep the heat in.
• Let the hot food cool down a bit before you put it in the fridge for preservation.
• Try not to use a second refrigerator, this will add to your energy consumption and indirectly lead to wastage of food.
– Bathrooms are the main water wasters in the home and can account for nearly 30 percent of indoor water consumption.
• Put a bucket in the shower while you’re waiting for the water to warm up, and use the water you catch for watering plants, flushing the toilet or cleaning.
• Try spending lesser time in the shower.
• Small Leaks, Big Problems – Toilet leaks are also major problems that go undetected, ensure to check for leaks and fix them immediately.
• Install ‘WaterSense’ Shower Head as they are more efficient than the average shower head.
• Time your water heater and turn it off when not required. A few of the Mahaveer residential properties are also equipped with solar heaters to help you conserve energy.
Let us be diligent and embrace efficient methods of energy consumption.